Today as part of our link-up party i’m joining emily from Dear Owen and sharing a little something about memories. More specifically how i’m documenting them!
Once upon a time i was a wedding photographer. It was only for a few seasons- but it was a blast and i definitely got a lot of practice taking pictures. I’m definitely no expert, but today i’ll be sharing some of my simple tips on taking better shots.
1. Learn your camera. No joke, practice, practice, practice, and only shoot on manual. I won’t go into too much depth because everyones camera is different, but learn it inside and out, try out different lighting situations and find out what works and what doesn’t. If shooting totally manual scares you- get outside your comfort zone at least and shoot on aperture priority mode! I shoot with a Canon 5d Mark ii, and the much much more compact Sony NEX 6.
2. Invest in a prime lens. My go-to-prime lens is the 50mm 1.2. I even got a prime lens for my little camera (the 35mm 1.8 since the sony has a crop sensor it turns into the 50mm- most cameras have a crop sensor. which is why i love the 5d so much!). The lower the f-stop the better for portraits- it blurs out the background keeping your subject crisp and clean. With a prime lens its harder to stay in one spot and shoot, you have to move your legs to ‘zoom’ in and out, and it helps you capture different angles.
3. Lighting. direct sunlight sucks. It creates shadows on half the subjects face. Its just plain hard and not at all pretty. Find yourself some shade. Or take a big step back and have the subject doing something so you dont catch the dreaded shadows. A cloudy day is your best friend. Take full advantage of those low hanging clouds, or evening sun- grab your camera and go!
This was a super sunny day. So i captured lex in “action”.
This afternoon turned out to be super cloudy. So i grabbed my camera, we took a walk and these are some of my all-time fav lexi pictures.
4. Have your toddler “do” something. As these kids get more mobile the last thing they want to do is take pictures. I have the best luck by having lex “doing” something for me. she LOVES to follow orders. and loves to make people laugh.
What does an owl say?
What do the wipers on the bus do?
5. Its all in the eyes. Focus in on those eyes and you’ll never ever go wrong. Its especially important with a prime lens and while shooting with a low f-stop to get the focus right. It can totally ruin the picture.
5. good moods go a long way. You know your toddler the best! Are they happy in the morning after they wake up? Happiest in the evening after dad gets home? Post nap? Set yourself up for success and use those good moods wisely! Sing their favorite song, make ridiculous animal sounds, anything for a smile!
I know these are really basic tips. . . but they’re all the things i swear by when i get my camera out!
Want to join in on the fun? Just add your link to our list and strut your stuff!
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…
Join Julie on tuesday for fabulous tot toys!